Working in partnership with Harrisburg Family Healthcare and Wholesome Wave Georgia, the fruit & veggie prescription program enrolls 40 adults each year. The program is designed to serve those who are living in food insecure situations.
Adult participants with diet related illnesses – such as diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, or heart disease – receive:
- free monthly health visits for six monthly
- a weekly prescription for fresh fruits and veggies for themselves and their family members
- free tokens to shop for those fruits and veggies at the Veggie Park Farmers Market
- six free seasonal, plant-based cooking classes
- healthy, low-cost recipes and nutrition education
- access to other good food cooking and gardening classes in the Harrisburg community
In order to qualify for enrollment, you must,
- show high motivation to participate
- meet health and limited income requirements
- enroll in our monthly SNAP ED program
- be available on Tues evenings in May-Oct
If you are interested in participating in this program for 2020, please stop by Harrisburg Family Healthcare at 423 Crawford Avenue to inquire.